Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day One

I begin this time of rest, reflection, and refueling with some very vivid pictures of my church family that I will hold in my mind while I'm gone from them.  This Sunday was an important one for many reasons: Molly's dedication and my final Sunday in the pulpit for a four week period.  My family and I were blessed to be able to ask a dear friend, a member of our church family,  and a fellow minister of the Gospel to perform Molly's dedication.

 What a blessing to have Pastor Jay as a part of our church body. He did a super job and we are grateful for the sincere words he shared with us and the church family during the dedication.

 Another picture that I cherish from last Sunday is of the congregation.  During the sermon, I said something to the effect of "look at verse..." and as I looked out at the congregation the majority of the family wasn't looking at me they had all dropped their gazes to their Bibles in unison!  I was so excited to see my church family in the Word together.  I wish you could have seen it along with me.  There were also many who shared kind words and testimonies that I continue to reflect on even today.

I spent this morning listening to audio CDs of one of my mentors.  The topic was "The Pastor's Fatigue." One of the most helpful things I learned was that fatigue causes you to "go through the motions" of ministry, and when you "go through the motions of ministry" you lose your passion.  When you lose your passion in ministry and for ministry you are in trouble.  I am once more reminded of the privilege of this sabbatical season which will help me to combat such struggles as I rest and learn.

I close this post today with a quote that was shared in the lesson from a counselor to a pastor:  "Everything you do you do to give away, you don't keep anything for yourself, and if you are always giving, you have to have time to replenish.  When you open a book every page has margin, when I look at your life I see no margin, there are words everywhere."  A good reminder for us all.

2 comments:

Josh Horner said...

Hey uncle Darrin, it's Josh. So excited about your Sabbatical! My dad said you may be heading to Southern, so if you're in town and you are free (which I'm sure you'll have plenty of time), give me a call. Praying for you during this time

G'ma suz said...

I am praying for you too as you begin this important season of growing in God's service. As long as I remember how precious Molly was Sunday (especially with her little "Princess Waving" and those little bare feet)I will remember what a great sermon God presented through you for the last one before your Sabbatical. We love you, Suz