Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dads And Their Daughters

The dreaded moment that every dad hopes he will never experience happened this past weekend. The day that your daughter is embarrassed to be seen with you. Life has been very busy for me lately (well busier than normal), which has caused me to get behind on yard work. So, on Saturday morning after putting the finishing touches on my sermon, I changed clothes and headed outside to work in the yard. After mowing the grass twice, I was sitting on the porch with my family eating lunch and discussing our plans for the rest of the day. Gretchen had been working on some projects of her own, so I volunteered to take Katie to the birthday party she had been invited to. After volunteering to take Katie to her party, I hear Katie say, "You're not going to wear that are you?" I was blind-sided. I was used to being asked that question by my wife, but not by my four year old! I thought that I had at least four or five more years before I would experience such a question from one of my daughters, but I was wrong. After regaining my composure, I asked, "Why Katie? Are you embarrassed to be seen with me?" It has been three days since that discussion and I am still waiting on her answer! It is a hard pill to swallow when you realize that your daughter doesn't think you are as cool as you think you are.

2 comments:

Lori said...

poor dad. THis may be a precursor to ... getting old'!! Embrace it ... first the coolness factor and then .. the hair. Or maybe vice versa! love ya guys! Lori Johnstone

Anonymous said...

That's nothing! My dad was ultra cool (not) sporting socks AND sandles when we were out and about in the summer. How many years of therapy did that take me to get over! (Just kidding) Remember, parent's are not going to be cool, nor are they likely to be a childs best friend as they get older, as hard as that is to believe. And IT'S OK!!!!!